Harwich Electric Palace Cinema

The Electric Palace in Harwich is one of the oldest purpose-built cinemas to survive complete with its silent screen, original projection room and ornamental frontage still intact. Originally opened in 1911, other interesting features include an open-plan entrance lobby complete with paybox, a small stage and dressing rooms, although the latter are now unusable. There is also a former gas powered generator engine with a seven-foot fly wheel situated in the basement.

View on Google Maps

Mon 15 Jun 2015, Sue Bunting